(10 months of study)
|Two months during each semester|
First Aid certification
Harness training and fall protection
Confined Space training
Scissor Lift training
|||Building Trades introduces students to the construction industry and allows them to explore a variety of career opportunities.
A student graduating from the Building Trades program can seek entry level employment as an apprentice in the following trades through Apprenticeship Manitoba:
- Cabinet Maker
- Concrete Finisher
- Crane and Hoisting Equipment Operator
As with all Seven Oaks CVE programs, we provide technical training through in-class theory and work experience so you can learn by doing and through on-the-job training.
- Completion of core courses (done in semester one of Grade 11)
- Interest in Carpentry and Building Trades
- Participation in an interview
- Completion of a CVE application
- Presentation of a certified transcript of marks
Individuals who have completed Grade 12 are an adult learner or reside outside the division are encouraged to submit an application.
This course takes place for one full-time semester in Grade 11 and one full-time semester in Grade 12. You will spend time in the classroom attaining basic skills, learning theory and acquiring trade safety certifications needed to get started in the construction industry under the guidance of certified red seal instructors.
- Performing daily safety inspections
- Following safe work procedures
- Performing basic carpentry skills
- Demonstrating employability skills
- Layout, measuring and assembling
- Problem solving, trouble shooting and logical thinking
- Awareness of ergonomics in construction
- Working independently or part of a team
- Following ethical and legal standards in construction
- Preparing for ever-changing working conditions
- Communication with peers, instructors, employers and customers
- Become familiar with the National Building Code of Canada
Upon course completion earn up to 8 high school credits.
** A registration fee may apply. **