(10 months of study)
Food Handler certificate
Grade 11 Math and English
Grade 12 prerequisites
|||The Culinary Services program introduces the student to the career opportunities available to them in the Food Services and Hospitality industries. Career options include employment in hotels, restaurants, clubs and healthcare facilities as a cook, chef, baker or dietary aide.|
As with all Seven Oaks CVE programs, we provide technical training through in-class theory and work experience so you can learn by doing and through on-the-job training.
- Completion of Grade 11 core courses
- Participation in an interview
- Completion of a CVE application including references or referrals
- Presentation of a certified transcript of marks
Individuals who have completed Grade 12 are an adult learner or reside outside the division are encouraged to submit an application.
The 34 week course is a combination of in-class theory and on-the-job training and can be broken down as follows:
- Weeks 1-4: In-class theory
- Weeks 5-34: 1 day/week in class, 4 days/week on-site
- The basics of food services and hospitality
- Preparation and presentation of fruits and vegetables
- The science of soups, stocks and sauces
- The art of Garde Manger
- The principles of meat and poultry
- Creating baking and desserts
- The use of standardized recipes and the Principles of Kitchen Management
Upon course completion earn up to 10 high school credits and work towards Emerit Line Cook Certification.
Students may be eligible to challenge the Level 1 Apprenticeship in the trade of cook, and can be registered with the Manitoba Education Tourism Council for certification.
** A registration fee may apply. **