(10 months of study)
|Four different practicums, seven weeks in duration|
Red River College Health Care Aide certificate
Non-Violent Crisis Intervention certificate
Heart and Stroke Foundation Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation certificate
PIECES (dementia care)
Completion of Grade 11 core courses
Participation in an interview
Completion of CVE application including references
Certified transcript of high school marks
Completion of physical examination and up-to-date immunization records
Current Child Abuse Registry and Adult Abuse Registry and Criminal Record Check including vulnerable sector search
The Health Care Aide Program introduces you to the career opportunities that await you within the healthcare system whether at a hospital, nursing home or in community health.
Most students have positions waiting for them upon graduation at one of the places where they trained, and many use the program to start off their career in Health Care in nursing, the Sciences or other related fields.
- Completion of Grade 11 core courses
- Interest in working with and providing care to people of all ages
- Participation in an interview
- Completion of a CVE application including references
- Presentation of a certified transcript of marks
- Completion of a physical examination and updated immunization records
- Presentation of a current Child Abuse Registry, Adult Abuse Registry and Criminal Record Check including vulnerable sector search
The 34 week course is a combination of in-class theory and on-the-job training and can be broken down as follows:
- Weeks 1-6: In-class theory
- Weeks 7-34: 1 day/week in class, 4 days/week on-site
Under the guidance of a nurse/instructor, you will learn how to work effectively on a health care team with patients, families and other staff in a variety of care settings.
Participants are placed in various areas offering unique experiences with the opportunity to rotate through four different sites.
Upon course completion you will receive the following certification:
- Red River College Health Care Aide Certificate
- Manitoba Heart and Stroke Foundation Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Certificate
- Crisis Prevention and Intervention (CPI) Certificate
Upon course completion earn up to 10 high school credits.