Students Working Against Tobacco (S.W.A.T.)
The WKC SWAT team is a student led program that provides interactive workshops demonstrating the health risks associated with tobacco. They have developed a peer-led prevention program and have undertaken a number of advocacy activities. The team provides annual “Train the Trainer” programs to train new members and assist new schools entering the program.
The WKC SWAT team does not work alone, they are partnered with
- Cancer Care Manitoba Foundation
- Manitoba Medical Association – sponsors Black Lung Award
- Winnipeg Regional Health Authority
- Manitoba Lung Association
- Seven Oaks Healthy School Initiative
- Health Canada
- Seven Oaks School Division
- Province of Manitoba Environment
The WKC SWAT continues to grow in membership and their leadership is greatly appreciated by the schools they visit and the education they provide is understood.
Since 2001, they have addressed over 8,200 students providing awareness, education, and support.