Skip to main content
950 Jefferson Avenue, Winnipeg, MB, R2P 1W1| Phone: (204) 632-1716| Fax: (204) 632-1889
Utility links
Adult Learning Centre (950 Jefferson Ave.)
May 30, 2024
School Day 1
No School Today
Frequently Asked Questions

When do courses take place?

The Seven Oaks Adult Learning Centre operates from September to June. Our first term begins in September and continues until the end of January. The second term begins in February and continues until the end of June.

We offer morning classes (9 a.m. - 12 p.m.), afternoon classes (1 p.m. - 4 p.m.) or evening classes (5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.). Students attend twice per week for 18-weeks. Students may enroll for the entire year when they register in August.


When can I start?

Registration is held in August and January. If a student feels they have the prior learning of any course offered at the Learning Centre, they can work toward a prior learning assessment and recognition at any time during the school year.

How long will it take to finish the course(s)?

As with any other provincially mandated course, there will be 110 hours of class time for a full course and 55 hours for a half. The courses offered at Seven Oaks ALC will take 18 weeks (2 times a week) to complete, depending on scheduling and course start up time.

What if I have a job working all day?

We have some evening courses that might better fit your timetable. Classes can be taken from 5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.  in the evening. Come and talk to us to find out what's on the schedule. We have set up our courses to accommodate working students so that people working day shift can come evenings and those working in the evening or night can set their classes according to family needs and work schedules.


We believe that regular attendance is the best opportunity for success. Due to the fact that courses are completed in 9 or 18 weeks students will be expected to attend as new material is introduced and assignments are dispersed on a daily basis.

What if I get sick (or my child gets sick) and I have to miss some classes?

We recognize that each person's life has many responsibilities and requirements. If you have to miss class for some reason, please let us know, and come back as soon as you can. We will help you to catch up and do what you need to do.

What does it cost?

There is no charge for taking classes toward your Adult High School Diploma or Adult Mature School Diploma.

What do I need to bring?

You should bring a binder and some paper and pens or pencils so that you can take notes in class. You will also need to have a calculator for Math. You will find that it is helpful to bring an open mind, a willingness to learn and as many questions as you want to ask.

Is this a GED?

No, this is not a GED program. Unlike the GED, the high school diploma is accepted everywhere.

What is the difference between the Mature Student Diploma and the Regular High School Diploma?

The difference between the MSD and Regular High School Diploma (RHSD) is you require 8 credits for MSD and 30 for RHSD. Both require an English and Math at the grade 12 level and 2 other grade 12 credits. Grade 12 Phys Ed is not required for MSD but is for the RHSD.

To obtain a Mature Student High School Diploma under the Grade 9 to Grade 12 (Senior 1 to Senior 4) Mature Student Graduation Requirements (2003), a student

  1. must be 19 years of age or over at the time of enrolment in school division/district or ALC programming directed at completing the Mature Student Graduation Requirements, or reach the age of 19 before completion of the course(s) in which he or she is enrolled
  2. must have been out of school six months or more, and out of school long enough for the class, of which he or she was last a member, to have graduated from Senior Years; and
  3. has not obtained a high school diploma.

    Students can enroll in a school division/district or ALC for the purpose of obtaining the Mature Student High School Diploma if they are eligible as described above.

What is Upgrading?

Upgrading is when a student who has graduated with either a MSD or RHSD and returns to either work on credits that are required for them to move on to post-secondary, trades or work or to improve marks for credits they previously took so they can bring up their average for entry into post-secondary, trades or work.

Can I get into University with this diploma?

Yes, the Mature Student High School Diploma is recognized by universities and other post-secondary institutions.  Students should be aware different programs have different entrance requirements. Our staff is happy to explore these requirements with individual students to make sure you have the necessary courses for the program you are entering.

What schooling do I have to have to attend here?

You don't need to have any high school credits to attend, but if you have any credits within the past ten years from grades 9 to 12, you would have an advantage as some may be brought forward toward the eight credits required. Students should have a reasonable command of the English language and a willingness to learn.