Note: At this time, vision
and hearing screening in schools will be on hold indefinitely. This
includes vision screening for K, grade 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11, the Lions vision
screening for Kindergarten and Grade 1 and hearing screening for K and grade
1. If you have any specific concerns, call the learning support
teacher at your child’s school. Vision tests are free of charge for
students under the age of 19.
- All students can and want to learn.
- All students are valued members of the learning community.
- Classrooms are places of diverse abilities and cultures.
- A team approach helps all students reach their potential and experience success.
PHILOSOPHY OF INCLUSIVE EDUCATION (Seven Oaks Policy IDDF)
PROGRAMS AND SERVICES THAT MEET THE NEEDS OF STUDENTS
You are a part of your child's support team:
- Parents are the first teachers of their children. They can provide the teacher with valuable insight into how their children learn.
- The classroom teacher uses this information in helping them get to know your child. The classroom teacher begins by supporting students in the classroom through observation, assessment and discussions with parents and previous teachers to help inform their teaching. Differentiated instruction methods and adaptations are used to help the students access the curriculum and demonstrate their learning.
Accessing School Supports
- If you are concerned about your child’s progress talk to your child’s teacher first.
- The classroom teacher can request assistance from any member of the in-school or divisional support team.
- The school support team may assist the teacher in supporting students through co-planning, co-teaching, small group support, assessment, short term individual instruction and the development of an Individual Education Plan (IEP) or Behaviour Intervention Plan (BIP) if needed.
- ECSS - Educational and Clinical Support Services includes psychologists, social workers and speech/ language pathologists.
- School Therapy Services - includes occupational therapy and physiotherapy.
- Accessing ECSS or School Therapy Services only takes place with parent permission.
- In some cases further divisional and community supports may be accessed if the team determines them to be helpful for the child.
Circle of Support