Skip to main content
830 Powers Street, Winnipeg, MB, R2V 4E7| Phone: (204) 586-8061| Fax: (204) 589-2504
Utility links
Seven Oaks School Division
Community Begins Here
May 25, 2024
No School Today


‚ÄčDuration ‚ÄčWork Practicum ‚ÄčPotential Credentials
‚Äč1 year
(10 months of study)
‚Äč24-34 weeks

‚ÄčFood Handler certificate
‚ÄčManito‚Äčba Best
WHMIS training‚Äč

The Culinary Services program introduces the student to the career opportunities available to them in the Food Services and Hospitality industries.  Career options include employment in hotels, restaurants, clubs and healthcare facilities as a cook, chef, baker or dietary aide.

As with all Seven Oaks Career Ready programs, we provide technical training through in-class theory and work experience so you can learn by doing and through on-the-job training.

Culinary Requirements:

  • Completion of Grade 11 core courses
  • Participation in an interview
  • Completion of a Career Ready‚Äč application including references or referrals
  • Presentation of a certified transcript of marks‚Äč (do not submit report card)‚Äč
  • Age cap of 25 years of age‚Äč‚Äč

Individuals who have completed Grade 12 are an adult learner or reside outside the division are encouraged to submit an application.‚Äč

The 34 week course is a combination of in-class theory and on-the-job training and can be broken down as follows:

  • Weeks 1-4: In-class theory
  • Weeks 5-34: 1 day/week in class, 4 days/week on-site

Culinary Learning Includes:

  • The basics of food services and hospitality 
  • Preparation and presentation of fruits and vegetables
  • ‚ÄčThe science of soups, stocks and sauces
  • The art of Gard‚Äče Manger
  • The principles of meat and poultry
  • Creating baking and desserts
  • The use of standardized recipes and the Principles of Kitchen Management

Upon course completion earn up to 10 high school credits and work towards Emerit Line Cook Certification.

Students may be eligible to challenge the Level 1 Apprenticeship in the trade of cook, and can be registered with the Manitoba Education Tourism Council for certification.

You will be registered with the Manitoba Tourism Education Council for national Emerit Certification‚Äč and will be equipped to work in a variety of settings.

** A registration fee may apply. **‚Äč